When and How We Collect, Use, and Share Information
We receive and collect personal data from you when you provide us your information to sign up to our newsletters, when you download our resources (reports, eBooks, guides), and when you sign up to our events. We receive and collect personal data from your browser or mobile device about your use of the sites and service. We use log files and analytics tools to analyze trends, administer the Sites and Service, track users’ movement around the Sites and Service, and gather statistical data. We use “cookies”, technical identifiers and Pixels to provide and enhance our Sites and Service. We also collect limited data regarding your system and device, such as your mobile device ID or browser preferences.
Personal information submitted to us through our Sites and resources, including digital publications and webinars, will be used for the purposes specified in this policy or on the relevant pages of the websites or individual resources.
We may use your personal information to:
• Supply services purchased, subscribed to or requested through our websites, including but not limited to the accessing resources you requested to read or download.
• Send you email notifications that you have specifically requested.
• Send you our email newsletters, if you have requested it (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require the newsletter).
• Send you marketing communications relating to our business (or the businesses of trusted and fully disclosed third-parties) which we think may be of interest to you, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications).
• Send you relevant communications that we have a legitimate interest in sending you.
• Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our website.
• Keep our website secure and prevent fraud.
If you submit personal information for publication on our websites, we will publish and otherwise use that information in accordance with the license you grant to us.
Disclosing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information:
• To the extent that we are required to do so by law.
• In connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings.
• To establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk).
• To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
• To authorized third parties (sponsors) when you submit your data to access our resources, including but not limited to eBooks, webinars, reports. You will be informed of the sponsors’ names at signup.
Except as provided in this policy, we will not provide your personal information to third parties.
What Personal Data We Collect or May Collect:
• Anonymous information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths).
• Information that you provide to us when registering with our website.
• Information that you provide to us to subscribing to our email notifications and/or newsletters (including your name and email address).
• Information that you provide to us when using the services on our website, or that is generated during the use of those services (including the timing, frequency and pattern of service use).
• Information contained in or relating to any communications that you send to us or send through our website (including the communication content and meta data associated with the communication).
• Any other personal information that you choose to send to us.
• Information contained in opt-in forms, that might also be used by authorized third parties with your express consent.
• Anonymous cookie ID, Advertising ID, and/or device ID to segment user groups for marketing purposes, and to execute retargeting campaigns to deliver personalized advertising by Strategic Meetings & Events or authorized third parties.
• Pixel tags that tell us what parts of the website have been visited or measure the effectiveness of searches users perform on the website. We may also use pixel tags in email messages to tell us whether emails have been opened to assure that we are only sending messages that are of interest to our users.
Before you disclose to us the personal information of another person, you must obtain that person’s consent to both the disclosure and the processing of that personal information in accordance with this policy.
Our website includes hyperlinks to, and details of, third party websites. We have no control over and are not responsible for, the privacy policies and practices of third parties.
Cookies and Pixels
Cookies are information packets sent by web servers to web browsers and stored by the web browsers. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables a web server to identify and track web browsers. There are two main kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are deleted from your computer when you close your browser, whereas persistent cookies remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach their expiry date. Some of the cookies used by our websites are essential for it to function properly, but we also use some non-essential cookies that help us to improve your user experience. The below sets out a full list of the cookies used on our websites and what we use these for.
• Cookie Banner
• MailChimp Cookies
• Google Analytics Cookies
• Social Media Cookies
• Facebook Pixel
Cookie Banner Consent- You may see a pop-up welcome message when you first visit our websites. We’ll store a cookie so that your computer knows you’ve seen it and knows on any subsequent visits not to show it again.
MailChimp Sign-up Cookies- We embed a MailChimp sign-up form for our email notifications on our subscribe page. This may disseminate cookies.
Facebook Cookies- We also use retargeting tags and Custom Audience provided by the company Facebook Inc. (1601 S. California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA, “Facebook”). In the context of interest-based online advertising, we use the product Facebook Custom Audiences. For this purpose, a non-reversible and non-personal checksum (hash value) is generated from your usage data. That hash value can be transmitted to Facebook for analysis and marketing purposes. The collected Information contains your activities on the website of Strategic Meetings & Events (e.g. browsing behavior, visited subpages, etc.). Your IP address is transmitted as well and used for geographical controlling of advertising. The data collected is only transmitted encrypted to Facebook and is anonymous to us that means the personal data of individual users are not visible to us.
Refusing Cookies- Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. In Google Chrome, you can refuse all cookies looking near the bottom of the page, click Show advanced settings. In the “Privacy” section, click Content settings. Enable or disable cookies on Google Chrome: To enable cookies chrome, select Allow local data to be set. To disable cookies, select Block sites from setting any data. In Internet Explorer, you can refuse all cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy”, and selecting “Block all cookies” using the sliding selector. In Firefox, you can adjust your cookies settings by clicking “Tools”, “Options” and “Privacy”. Blocking cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of our websites.
We may use Google’s remarketing service to target our or third party’s ads to you based on your prior use of the Site when you visit on other sites in Google Display or Search Network.
Security of Your Personal Information
We will take reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. You acknowledge that the transmission of information over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
If/When we use your information for marketing purposes it will be kept with us until you notify us that you no longer wish to receive this information.
We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website. You should check this page occasionally to ensure you agree with any changes to this policy.
You will be asked to expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for the purposes outlined in this Policy. We always provide you with an opportunity to opt out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes, cancel your subscriptions, delete your profile, delete your data altogether. Please let us know if you wish to update or delete the personal data we hold about you by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or simply unsubscribe from any email where an unsubscribe or opt-out link is provided.
Last reviewed: July 24, 2018.